Friday, November 5, 2010

Hope twinkles

Stars are pretty and are, in a way, a metaphor for hope. 

Look at all that twinkling hope!
Usually looking up at stars makes us hopeful. I think it does anyway. Which is probably why I wrote this. It's another poem from the "Lemons" poetry project.

Hope

Hope is like a distant
Star
That will always 
Twinkle
In the sky no matter
How dark the night


This poem makes me happy and also makes me think I may have stolen it from somewhere. I mean it's a pretty common idea, the one of hope springing eternal, but the poem is so sweet and visual and true. I can't believe I wrote it. It was a "free verse" poem in which there was no defined structure. This is why I find the structure I used so interesting and it is definitely not the way I would have structured it had I written it now. I sometimes feel like being in academia for so long has made me less creative than I used to be. I would have probably arranged it like this had I written it now which is just so...typical.

Hope is like a distant star
That will always twinkle in the sky 
No matter how dark the night

I realize I sound like a literary snob and I actually have no idea what I'm talking about. I just miss the feeling having no boundaries whether they've been imposed on me by a teacher or by myself (which is probably more likely). It's so easy to set yourself limits even when you don't need to. Although I'm sure at the age of 14 I already had pretty defined limits which is why I didn't have words written in all different directions and in all different areas of the page.

Anyway I wish I had more to say about this poem. I know I seem to keep patting myself on the back but I do think it's pretty good for a 14 year old. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment